A high energy interval training class consisting of cardio (step) and muscle conditioning (resistance) components. This is a great class suitable for all fitness and coordination levels.
The cardio component consists of basic, repetitive step moves as well as other cardio exercises using the step at various levels of impact and intensity. The resistance component targets a wide range of muscle groups using the step, dumbbells and body weight exercises.
IF YOU ARE NEW TO STEPPING AT UNIREC:
- Be prepared to take 3 or 4 sessions to become familiar with step patterns, the names of the moves and negotiating the step height
- To begin with, only have one block under each end of the step - as you learn the moves you can add another block to each end. You can also step with just the platform
- The number of blocks is determined by how tall you are rather that how fit you are. One block at each end is recommended
- Because you can vary the height of the step and instructors provide high and low intensity variations in class, it is easy to work at your own pace in all step classes
- 'Stump' and 'Step & Shape' have the most straight forward and easy-to-learn sequences. However, still be prepared to stick at it for 2 or 3 sessions to master the basics
- We use non-tap choreography so even if you have stepped before this style of stepping may be new to you
- Part of the enjoyment of stepping is the challenge of learning new moves and sequences so once the basics are mastered, variations will continue to provide challenge and fun
- 'Step Up' is an advanced class and recommended once you are a competent stepper.